<$BlogRSDURL$>

A weblog covering the San Diego Padres.

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Another big Post

I was not around yesterday because I went up to Los Angeles, Simi Valley, to be specific, to pay my respects to former President Ronald Reagan.

"This is part of our civic religion"
-Just overheard on C-SPAN, Richard Norton Smith, former Director of Ronald Reagan Presidential Library

Yesterday was a rare opportunity for me, because there are so few American Presidents, and very few from California. The day itself was long, starting at seven a.m. and ending around 1 p.m., but it was great to see so many people making that kind of sacrifice of time and frustration to pay just a few seconds of respect.

Seeing the honor guard and the casket was moving, and meant a lot to me. I am glad they extended the hours yesterday to allow Californians and people from around the Western United States to get a chance to visit him one last time.

Mr. Reagan is just now touching down in Maryland for the national part of his funeral. I hope some of my readers had an opportunity to stop by in California or maybe in the nation's capital in the coming days.

* * * * *
Bosox-1
Padres-0

Tough loss for the Padres. Pedro Martinez, with his typical bad timing, chose to pitch like Pedro once he faces the Padres. It's not fun getting two-hit, and I hope the Padres got that out of their system.

Credit goes to the Padres pitchers, who kept a good Boston offense in check, but they needed a perfect game and didn't get it.

David Wells has some nasty breaking balls working, but Pedro just kept coming back with the fastballs.

* * * * *
The Padres' day two draft was rather boring, but they picked up a bunch of junior college guys and draft-and-follow types. I wish I knew something about each of the drafted players, but for now I don't and just hope that some of them turn into really good baseball players.

I'll run down some of the draft numbers tomorrow, but since I've been out I won't try and get ahead of myself here.

* * * * *
One more USC player was selected, this time little-used relief pitcher and backup quarterback/tight end on the football team, Matt Cassel.

Guess who selected him?

The Oakland Athletics. His stock just rose dramatically in my mind after I heard that.

Thanks to loyal reader Joe and some cunning research, I've found the last names of a few of the Trojans' signees. They include Plouffe (a first-rounder), Trumbo (supposedly a great pitcher), Duda, Reinhart and Lopez.

I'll relate what I know about them as soon as I come across something.

* * * * *
This post was shortened because I am a bit distracted. The Padres face off against Boston again tonight at 4:05 P.M. PST, and it will be televised on Channel 4 locally and ESPN nationally.

Brian Lawrence matches up with Bronson Arroyo.

* * * * *
I will very soon add the two pictures I took yesterday from the Reagan viewing. Cameras and basically anything that didn't belong to one's immediate body were prohibited so that's the story and I'm sticking to it.
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?