<$BlogRSDURL$>

A weblog covering the San Diego Padres.

Friday, April 30, 2004

Kentucky Derby

Tomorrow (Saturday) is the Kentucky Derby. Definitely one of my favorite sporting events of the year. Unfortunately I haven't followed horseracing as much this year outside of my awesome day at the Breeder's Cup at Santa Anita.

Anyway, the big race goes off at 3:04 PM Pacific time. I'll probably be sitting inside all afternoon trying to do a Padres post while watching the Derby coverage. So look for an interesting Derby/Padres mix of posts tomorrow if my computer holds up (always an issue).

My friend Victor called today already with a sleeper pick suggestion (Borrego) and says he's been watching tapes of the races all day. What a pro! Borrego's ironic since the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park is one of my favorite places on Earth and is located just a little over an hour's drive east of San Diego.

I also got the scoop on some of the horses and side stories from of all sources, my Mom. She's pretty excited too, I guess I've gotten her into the racing spirit, at least for events like the Derby. I had a blast last year when I upheld the Opening Day at Del Mar tradition with Victor (6 years straight, I think, since well before legal gambling age) while inviting my family. I think they had a good time also. You can't go wrong with an opening day at any racetrack, especially the beautiful Del Mar Racetrack. "Where the surf meets the turf at ooolllllddddd Del Mar". Thank you, Bing Crosby.

So that's my plan for tomorrow, and hopefully I can incorporate the Padres into that assuming the computer doesn't wig out like normal.

So my request to you, my loyal reader, is to start a Derby discussion below in the comments section if you wish. Make your favorite picks, talk about anything anecdotal or interesting about the race, or what have you. Tomorrow should be fun!
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?