<$BlogRSDURL$>

A weblog covering the San Diego Padres.

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Petco Padres Does Predictions

I'm behind the curve on this one, but at least I'll get this done before the unofficial opening day. Since I'm watching a Spring Training game on ESPN right now I feel it's safe to ignore the Yankee/DRay game yesterday/today.

Anyway, onto the predictions, I'm now accountable (snickers).

American League

East
Boston Red Sox
New York Yankees
Toronto Blue Jays
Baltimore Orioles
Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Comment: Call me crazy but I could see Toronto and New York swapping spots for second. That's something to watch because I think the Orioles will probably take advantage of sleeping teams like the Yanks, which benefits Boston and Toronto.

Central
Minnesota Twins
Kansas City Royals
Chicago White Sox
Cleveland Indians
Detroit Tigers

Comment: Goofy division this year. The Royals might float an all-lefty rotation, the ChiSox are talented but Colon's gone and Loaiza cannot repeat last year. Twinkies keep doing their thing, but they're kind of stale. The top four could completely flip-flop.

West
Oakland Athletics
Anaheim Angels
Seattle Mariners
Texas Rangers

Comment: Oakland will run away with this thing. I'm not sold on Anaheim's pitchers, but Guerrero could be A.L. MVP. Without Ichiro and Edgar and Meche and Olerud and Boone, I'd be laughing at Seattle. They may not slide too much this year, but things are about to go downhill.

National League

East
Florida Marlins
Philadelphia Phillies
Atlanta Braves
Montreal Expos
New York Mets

Comment: What a division. Minaye's proving himself a very adept GM, and he's got a club that can get on base by hook or crook. Without their two recent trades for much-needed arms I was ready to move Atlanta to fourth (shocking!). I haven't looked too closely at Philly, but I don't want to be a bandwaggoner and put them first. Besides, the Marlins won what, 90 games last year? Oh, and that thing, what's it called... the World Series? Yeah... Side note---there is some skepticism that the Mets' import SS can hit. Not good. Could be a ROY dud.

Central
Houston Astros
Chicago Cubs
St. Louis Cardinals
Cincinnati Reds
Pittsburgh Pirates
Milwaukee Brewers

Comment: Upset city, baby! My Cubbies are too good. With Prior gone for April, that shifts the rotation a bit. I'm not sold on Maddux yet. But I have a hunch Kerry might have a Cy Young season (he'll get those walks down at some point, right???). The Stros are just solid all the way through. And they might actually play Morgan Ensberg full time! The Cards have the league's best talent at some positions and the league's worst in others. Talk about manic. The Reds are consistently average throughout, but they get a slight nod over the Buccos with their depth, altho the Pirates' front of the rotation isn't bad by any means. Milwaukee needs help.

West
Padres
Giants
Diamondbacks
Dodgers
Rockies

Comment: I swear I'm not a homer. But with Schmidt coming off some minor surgery and now missing time, that hurts their rotation. I can't help but feel looking at that lineup that without Bonds it looks a lot like Pittsburgh's or the Cardinals sans Pujols and Rolen and Renteria. Ugly. Can Bonds, as he's continued to decline (from alltime great to great plus to great/still best in the game, mind you), keep putting up those wins, especially with the BALCO distraction? As I've noted earlier, I'm not ready to give up on the DBacks yet, I have faith in Johnson and their ability to squeeze one last good year out of Gonzo/Finley. The Rockies I can't figure out, so I've stopped trying and the Padres are the deepest team in the division, and have some OK pitchers to throw out there. Go get 'em boys.

There you have it. Some surprises. And lots of guestimation. It's interesting that each division has that 1 "really bad" team. Sometimes it isn't that way, but this year that may happen. Last words, don't count out the Marlins.

Better yet, quick review, just for my own curiosity since I've already forgotten half of what I just typed

AL: Red Sox, Twins, Athletics
NL: Marlins, Astros, Padres
Wild Card: Angels, Cubs

World Series? Oh hell, give it to Billy! Athletics over Marlins in 5.
My heart says Cubs, so that's my "what I really meant was..." pick. Check back in October!
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?