<$BlogRSDURL$>

A weblog covering the San Diego Padres.

Sunday, March 14, 2004

I'm Still Here...

It's been a busy last week, and I'm now on Spring Break, so updates may be more sparse for a few days. St. Patrick's Day is coming up and I probably won't be far from the new ballpark. Saw it the other nite as I went to the Yard House brewery near Horton Plaza. Not much of a crowd at the restaurant, allowed me to relax and enjoy my Hooegaarden pint. Always a plus.

Anyway, I've got a ton of links saved on my computer, which means things to talk about for the blog, but I'll probably get to most of that once I'm back in L.A. Here are a few hints: Bill James, Chicago Cubs, Dusty Baker, Kevin Towers.

Today's lone item: Petco Park. I was reading the DT's sports section today, came upon the letters to the editor part, and was surprised to find a bevy of letters expressing dissatisfaction with the park, and Padres management. Perhaps all is not rosy for Petco after all. Mostly complains about sight lines, looks like there are some obstructed views in significant portions of the ballpark. I looked online at the seat-viewer area of the Padres website and did notice that the right field seats appear to have a wall to the left of them blocking a view of the outfield and all the way down to home plate depending on exactly where in the right field seats one was. That might be something to keep an eye on, and I'll give a report if I ever make my way into the stadium in the coming months.

Other complaints centered around ticket prices (which are pretty high, as there aren't any real "cheap" seats like at Qualcomm). For the fans used to paying for $20 tickets their prices haven't gone up much so it isn't as much of an annoyance, but it would be cool if fans could have cheap seats somewhere other than the outfield picnic area. But that's also a hard sell with a small park like Petco. Wrigley Field, for example, doesn't have many cheap seats, and it is has similar capacity figures as Petco.

But the Cubs are almost never at less than 90% capacity and their novelty will never wear off like it will here with a historically losing team in a trend-setting city with so much going on and reluctant sports fans. After a few years we could see a Cleveland-like situation for the Pads with middling revenues and sagging attendance as the joy of the new ballpark fades.

Or maybe it could be like the Giants who I think have tremendously loyal fans and will continue to have great attendance well past the days of Bonds and Sabean.

We shall see...



|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?